Saturday, February 23, 2013

Не бойся ложки, бойся вилки

I observed a custom in all those Italian cities and townes through the which I passed, that is not vsed in any other country that I saw in my trauels, neither doe I think that any other nation of Christendome doth vse it, but only Italy. The Italians, and also most strangers that are commorant in Italy, doe alwaies at their meales vse a little fork when they cut their meate. For while with their knife, which they hold in one hand, they cut their meate out of the dish, they fasten their forke, which they hold in their other hand, upon the same dish, so that whatsoever he be that sitting in the company of others at meate, should vnaduisedly touch the dish of meate with his fingers from which all at the table doe cut, he will give occasion of offence unto the company, as hauing transgressed the laws of good manners, in so much that for his error he shall be at the least brow-beaten, if not reprehended in wordes.
This form of feeding, I vnderstand, is generally vsed in all places of Italy, their forkes being for the most part made of yron or Steele, and some of siluer ; but those are used only by gentlemen. The reason of this their curiosity is, because the Italian cannot by any means indure to have his dish touched with fingers, seeing all men's fingers are not alike clean. Hereupon I myself thought good to imitate the Italian fashion by this forked cutting of meate, not only while I was in Italy, but also in Germany, and oftentimes in England, since I came home : being once quipped for that fiequent vsing of my forke, by a certain gentleman, a familiar friend of mine, one Mr. Laurence Whitaker, who in his merry humour doubted not to call me at table, forcifer, only for vsing a forke at feeding, but for no other cause." — Coryat's Crudities, 1611.

No comments: